Application requirements for full-time Design doctoral studies (practice-based) 2023 academic year
Dates and Deadlines
|Application documents must be submitted.||5-7 of September 2023
Admission documents are submitted in one pdf. by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Assessment of Creative Work and Professional Development - Review. Announcement of participants invited for an interview with the admission committee.||14th of September 2023, 5 pm|
|Admission commission meeting (applicant’s participation is obligatory).||21st of September 2023, 10 am|
|The list of invited applicants to doctoral studies will be announced.||21st of September 2023, 5 pm|
|Reception and analysis of appeals.||22nd of September 2023|
|The announcement of the list of the admitted to doctoral studies||26th of September 2023|
Required documents (have to be submitted in one pdf.)
- Application to the VAA rector; List of suggested research fields.
- A copy of Master diploma and diploma supplement in the original language, with the certified translation to English or Lithuanian (Documents issued in English or Lithuanian do not require a translation).
Please be advised that applicants with foreign qualifications, acquired outside Lithuania, will undergo mandatory academic recognition of these qualifications. Detailed procedure and requirements can be found in Academic recognition section.
Vilnius Academy of Arts (VAA) has been granted the right by the Ministry of Education, Science and Sports of the Republic of Lithuania to recognize foreign qualifications of its international applicants for the purposes of further studies at VAA. Recognition of foreign qualifications at VAA is accomplished by the International Relations Office.
- Letters of recommendation of two recognized artists (2023);
- Portfolio (Creative works) and CV (Professional development);
- Description of the art research project (3000 - 5000 words);
- A copy of ID or passport;
- A copy of a document certifying the change of name and/or surname if not all the documents submitted are under the same name and/or surname;
- Receipt of the admission fee;
- Consent regarding processing of personal data.
Art project description guidelines
- Main problem of art project creative part.
- Context of the creative field.
- Foreseen goal and process of the creative part.
- The main problem, goal and process of the theoretical part of the art project.
- Historiography context of the theoretical part.
- Relationship between creative and theoretical parts.
Admission fee payment, account requisites
Admission fee is 30 EUR
Vilniaus dailės akademija
Legal entity (VAA) code 111950439
Account no. LT44 7300 0100 0245 5498
Bank code 73000
The title of the entrance fee should be: stojamoji imoka i doktorantura+applicant’s name.
In case admission fee is paid not to VAA account the application is not considered. If an applicant withdraws the documents, the admission fee is not refunded.
Competition grade formula
Competition grade consists of the portfolio (Prt), description of art research project creative (Kda) and theoretical (Tda) parts, interview (Pk).
Ʃ - competition grade
Ʃ = 0,4Prt + 0,2Kda + 0,2Tda + 0,2Pk
Structure of the competition grade
The admissions competition takes place in two phases. The first stage is an assessment of creative work and professional training - a review. The admissions commission reviews the documents of the candidates, reference letters from recognized artists, their portfolios, CVs and the descriptions of their art projects. If the admissions commission decides that the artistic level of the candidate’s creative work and his/her professional training are insufficient or that his/her competences are inadequate for the doctoral programme offered by the VAA, he/she no longer participates in the competition. The second stage is an interview. During the interview, the applicants make an oral presentation to the Admissions Committee of their intended artistic project, both the creative and the research parts of it. The applicants formulate the problem of the future art project, outline the expected directions of their activities, present their previous creative activities and their most significant creative achievements. The portfolio, the description of the art project and the interview are evaluated using a ten-point system. The sum of the scores constitutes the competition score. In the event of a tie, the recommendations of recognised artists are taken into account. Only applicants with a competition score of at least 7 may apply for the PhD programme.
Students admitted to state-funded places of doctoral studies receive a scholarship of the amount established by the Government of the Republic of Lithuania during the period of studies from 10 488 EUR to 12 144 EUR per year.
Students admitted to state-funded positions are exempted of the tuition fee. Self-funded doctoral students pay the tuition fee that is 11 589 euros per year.