Photography and media laboratory
Maironio str. 3, Vilnius
Head of laboratory Gintas Kavoliūnas
|Mob. 8 684 email@example.com|
Specialist for practical training of students Ričardas Šileika
|Mob. 8 672 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Specialist for practical training of students Urtė Baranauskaitė||Mob. 8 633 email@example.com|
|Specialist for practical training of students (animation rooms) Danielius Mekinkovas||Mob. 8 606 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Animation room Nr. 417 ir 418
Animation room is designed for students to work with traditional hand-drawn animation, digital and 3D virtual reality animation and work on creative projects.
For traditional hand-drawn animation there are specified tools:
- Special paper puncher device to make holes in the paper. Adapted tables to work with hand-drawn animation. These tables have integrated led lights;
- Tables with peg bars for fixation. Each student is provided with a peg bar at the start of the academic year;
- A4 format tablet scanners;
- Animation Line Test Stand;
- Computers with “TV Paint” software;
- Adobe software bundle for video editing and montage.
Besides hand-drawn animation, using “Dragonframe” software students can try 2D “Stop Motion” and fame-by-frame “Cut-out” animation. For more complex projects students can use clay or model animation. These kinds of projects are made by using special equipment in the room Nr. 417 – three-axis tripod, “Cut-out” table with interchangeable screens, studio lights.
The newest addition to the laboratory is 3D animation, design and virtual reality technical base. For these projects, students can use powerful stationary computers, “Autodesk” and “Adobe”, “Cinema 4D”, “Blender”, “DaVinci Resolve 16” software. There is also “Insta 360 EVO” camera with special software package. For virtual reality simulation projects, students can use “Unity” and “Unreal” game engines. Projects can be showcased via virtual reality headsets “Oculus Rift” and “Oculus Quest”.
Photography studios. Rooms Nr. 431 A, B, C
These spaces are designed for photography projects that require artificial light. Here you will find portable and suspended “Hensel” studio lights with additional accessories. These light sources can be used in constant and pulsating mode.
Studio in the room 431 A can be used to photograph models in full length. Here you will find a variety of different light sources with two powerful generators and a suspended background system.
Studio in the room 431 B can be used to photograph small objects that can be placed on a special table.
Studio in the room 431 C is mostly used for video making, since it only has a constant light source.
Photographic print making laboratory. Room Nr. 413 and 414
This laboratory can be used to make black & white photographic prints.
Here you will find:
- Kaiser and Meopta enlargers for various formats;
- Special developing trays to make prints (from 24x36 mm to 130x180 mm) from negatives, washing trays and other accessories.
Developing room Nr. 412
Developing room is used to develop black & white negatives by hand.
Here you will find:
- Developing tank for 35mm and 120 format films;
- Darkroom sink;
- Negative drying area.
Specialized laboratory. Room Nr. 411
This room can be used by advanced students, who are familiar with traditional old photography techniques and want to learn other alternative processes and make bigger prints.
In this room you will find:
- Two Durst enlargers. The smaller one is used to work with 4x5 and 8x10 negatives;
- Special developing machine Jobo ATL1000 used to develop color negatives;
- Photopaper storage and cutter Metrolon;
- Heated tray;
- Darkroom sinks;
- Print frames for large format (up to 50x60cm);
- Other laboratory equipment.
Chemical storage room. Room Nr. 407
Here, chemicals are stored inside special lockers. Inside this room photographic solutions are prepared. This room can only be used by the laboratory workers and instructed students who are familiar with the safety requirements policy.
Storage room Nr. 421
Students and employees of Vilnius Academy of Arts can rent equipment and inventory for study purposes.
These items can be handed out only for those who have read the issuance rules in the Laboratory Work Policy and has a valid student ID (or a copy). You will also have to give your contact information. You must reserve the inventory beforehand, no later than few days in advance. If you have any questions about the equipment or the inventory, please contact the laboratory employee via email email@example.com or phone number 8 684 44076.
Equipment in the storage room is designed for photography, video, sound and media works:
- Digital cameras for photography and film making purposes with interchangeable lenses;
- Tripods for filming and photography;
- Sets of portable halogen lights and flashes with accessories;
- Media players;
- Monitors / screens;
- Voice recorders, microphones, speakers;
- Equipment for animation study program;
- Various adapters, vires and other accessories.
Laboratory room Nr. 410
The room is designed for:
- Image cropping;
- Drying analog photo prints with special machine;
- Scanning photo positives and negatives.
Professors and their students can discuss and inspect practical tasks in this room. Up to 5 students can work in the room at one time.
Video editing room Nr. 427
Video editing room is specialised to work with moving and 3D image. Here you can edit videos, create 3D models, edit photographs. In this room there are two computers equiped with full Adobe software package, which can be used by students and employees of Vilnius Academy of Arts by signing in with your VAA email.
Video editing room can be used by 8 students at once – there are separate work places to work with personal computers. If you have any practical questions regarding the use of Adobe programs, please contact the laboratory worker Urte Baranauskaite via email firstname.lastname@example.org
In the video editing room, you can also find special equipment to review old standard video material such as VHS, MiniDV, CD, DVD. We also have some old tube TVs.