Being one of the largest and oldest (1793) Art Academies in the Nordic-Baltic region VAA is inviting international students for postgraduate (MA) studies in English.
Based on your artistic or design interest and acquired skills, you can choose one of the below MA study programmes:
Primary interest area
MA study programme
Each MA study programme lasts for 2 years and has a study load of 120 ECTS.
Being a VAA student you would have a unique opportunity to spend 2 creative years in the thriving international Vilnius art scene. The MA study programmes are intended for independent artists and designers having obtained a BA degree and documented artistic practice (portfolio and CV). The main goal of postgraduate studies is to enable a student to develop one’s artistic or design research skills and gain competences necessary for the implementation of individual art projects and their presentation in the relevant art & social context.
Vilnius art scene is world-known as an international contemporary art hub with vibrant artistic life. Located next to the Contemporary Art Centre, an important player in the global art world since 1992, and National Art Gallery, Vilnius is full of cosy galleries and artist-run spaces. Lithuanian artists are renowned for numerous global art awards such as the Golden Lion (2019) and Special Mentions in Venice Biennale. Lithuania also takes pride in being a home country to such famous artists as Jonas Mekas, George Maciunas (co-founder of Fluxus) and Aleksandra Kasuba. Lithuanian curators were involved in curating Documenta and Baltic Triennial and other influential art exhibitions.
Advantages of studying at Vilnius Academy of Arts
- Comparatively low living costs in Vilnius, as compared to other European countries;
- Significant number of state-funded places for EU/EEA citizens;
- Opportunity to receive a scholarship for the citizens of the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Republic of Belarus, the People’s Republic of China, Georgia, the State of Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of Moldova and the Republic of Ukraine;
- Numerous international opportunities (Erasmus+ grants for studies and internships abroad), Nordplus grants;
- Access to numerous creative workshops, organised by the Academy (national and international);
- Access to the Academy’s Art and Design Lab, consisting of design, photography and media art, graphics, ceramics, monumental painting and scenography, restoration and preservation, metal, textile workshops and printing centre with the most advanced and up-to-date equipment;
- Reasonably-priced guaranteed dormitory accommodation;
- An opportunity to study as well as participate in creative workshops, organised in a charming art and residency centre - Nida Art Colony;
- Offering a wide range of study fields in fine arts, media arts, design, architecture, art theory and history, and restauration.
- Timely and efficient support and advice for international students.
Please note that depending on the current situation regarding COVID-19, Vilnius Academy of Arts might be flexible to commence the first semester remotely.
Main page banner photo: Greta Alice Liekytė. Installation "Self bodies", 2018