Creator Doctus consortium
CONFERENCE ON 3rd CYCLE MODELS IN THE ARTS
We have started our 3-year Strategic Partnership project Creator Doctus in a consortium that includes Rietveld Academie (coordinator), Athens School of Fine Arts, Vilnius Academy of Arts, Merz Akademie, ENSAPC, Glasgow School of Art, Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and EQ-Arts.
Our ambition with the project (co-funded by the European Commission) is to enable all countries signed up to the Bologna Declaration to be able to independently enter into the 3rd Cycle level with an award recognised at the same level of, and equivalent to, PhD. An award utilising appropriate research methodologies and where arts practice is an integral element of the final presentation.
9.30 registration and 10.00 start of the conference. This first day includes:
- keynote speaker Carole Gray. Carole Gray is an artist, researcher and higher education consultant. She will give a keynote speech based on her new book chapter The 'Epistemic Object' in the Creative Process of Doctoral Inquiry.
- various examples of practice-based 3rd cycle programmes in the arts from the Netherlands, Greece and Lithuania
- moderated discussions between 3rd cycle students and their supervisors from Lithuania, Greece and the Netherlands by Mika Elo (University of the Arts Helsinki)
- networking lunch
- evening reception
- keynote speaker Olav Westphalen. Departing from his own academic and artistic practice, the presentation will address the complex relationship between art making and research, and asks how artistic research as well as artistic PhD programs can help produce relevant art. Olav will also discuss the model of the practice-based, artistic PhD in the Swedish context which he has seen evolve over the years.
- launch of the international and online repository of 3rd cycle models in the arts, www.3rdcycleinthearts.eu
- Johan Haarberg (University of Bergen and SAR) will give a presentation on the Norwegian 3rdcycle model, which is recognized as a PhD.
- presentation of the Advancing Supervision Project by Maria Hansen (ELIA)
13.30 end of conference with an optional tour to the studio’s on the ASFA Campus